Thursday, February 21, 2013

Juniper's Adventure in Hustontown

To start off we had no new additions born today :( Better luck tomorrow. Juniper is doing wonderfully and is already making strides toward actually feeding from a bottle as aposed to being tube fed. Tube feeding is neither fun for her or me so thankfully she has figured out the straight syringe method. With any luck she will be completely on a bottle by the end of the weekend. Unfortunately I will have to leave my little darling for a couple days so I can go to work. Not to worry she will be in the capable hands of her grandparents ;-)

Today marks the second time I have milked a sheep and boy was it frustrating! If it wasnt one thing it was the other between the ewe not letting her milk down and getting kicked in the hands repeatedly. But I persevered and milked off plenty for Juniper to drink for the night and into tomorrow. We always have goat milk as back up but for the comfort of the ewe and the health of the baby, mothers milk is best. On my list for tomorrow is to find a milker. For instances like these I think it is worth the expence and probably a lot less stressful for the ewe and when my goatie girls kid I will be ready for action!

Since Juniper needs to be fed every 1-2 hrs and I have adopted her as my charge, Juniper went to the fire department tonight for CPR Class. Everyone was thoroughly entertained and inammored with my little lamb. Of course there was teasing to my unique choice of pet to tote around. "You see people tote around dogs and even cats but since Sara's got to be different she carries around a sheep!" Juniper loved the attention and put her two cents in here and there with a carefully timed BAA! when the class was not paying attention to her.

All in all Juniper and I make a pretty good pair and I am very glad she is rounding the bend. She is very happy in her little bath tub bedroom and is much more active and vocal now that she is feeling better.

TaTa for now! Time for a little sleep before Juniper needs another feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment